Friday, February 17, 2012

Book Review: Brandon Sanderson, "Warbreaker", Jeffrey Deaver, "The Vanished Man"

Got a twofer book review:

I recently finished my first book by Brandon Sanderson, “Warbreaker”. I had recently received this autographed copy from my beloved daughter-in-law. This was a SciFi edition published by Tor. I mention this only because the construction of the book was so inferior. In the front and the back two large sections were not glued. When I got to those sections I had to extract them and glue them in before I could finish reading as the pages kept falling out. I was also quite disappointed in the cursory spell check this copy was given.  The grammatical errors were higher than in any book I can remember having read.

That aside, I found the novel interesting, not riveting, but interesting. If I had not just finished 9 novels by Robin Hobb; a writer that not only draws you into the worlds she creates, but deftly plunges you into those worlds so deeply that the air you breath is the air she has created; I think I would have found Brandon’s book definitely more tantalizing.

He paints a world where colour is primary; either the absence of or the vibrancy of, either way colour controls the lives of the characters second only to the amount of Breath one has. Both of which symbiotically affect the lives of all.

I would definitely recommend reading this book and I hope to read more of Brandon’s works, just not so close to the heels of Robin Hobb novels.
I use drive time to get through other novels. It fills that void created when dead space hangs heavily in the air and the guilt of not utilizing my time efficiently eats at me. My latest conquest in the oral book world was a novel by Jeffery Deaver, “The Vanished Man”.

The twists and turns are made all the more suspenseful because I needed to wait until my next drive to find out what happens.

Set to a background of the world of illusion,  Lincoln Rhyme and Amelia Sachs use their mental  prowess to try to get ahead of an master illusionist who is committing bizarre murders for reasons of vengeance that only could make sense to him.

There is a reason Jeffery Deaver is called the “Master of the Mind Game”. I no sooner thought I had the plot all figured out and it would do a 180.

This is my first read from him and I am sure it will not be my last.

I whole heartedly recommend this read to anyone who enjoys the challenge of surprise endings.