Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Tess Gerritsen; The Sinner

I entered the world of Tess Gerritsen recently and discovered the multi-faceted talents of this author.

The first book I chose to read of hers was “The Sinner”. I found it a fairly quick read and was able to finish it in a short amount of time. 
I have tried to analyze what it was missing to draw me into its heart and cannot come up with a clear cut reason. Possibly it is because I am still until the cloud of Robin Hobb, an author who has the ability to draw me deep into her worlds so much that the characters become as though real.

Possibly I do not find the characters and their world three dimensional enough. It is wrong of me though to compare a fast read book with a novel. That would be like comparing a Honda Civic to a Jaguar.

"The Bone Garden", a book I have just begun to read by Tess will give me more of a sense of her writing style. So far though, it could not be farther in form from “The Sinner”.

“The Sinner” is a murder mystery, set in a current timeline. Two nuns are brutally murdered, as well as a man and what appears to be a homeless person. Three different venues, but all connected. Tess slowly connects the dots with the aid of her character, Dr. Isles, the local ME. The closer Dr. Isles gets to the truth the more her life is in jeopardy.

“The Bone Garden” jumps between current time and the early 1800’s. So far the only similarity is that the two books are murder mysteries. We shall see as the plot unfolds.

The one con I found in the first book that might give me pause to continue venturing into more of her works is that I felt “The Sinner” border lined on becoming a romance novel; a genre that I am not drawn to.

Had it not a greater percentage of the mystery aspect I may have not picked up the second book.

At this time I would encourage the reading of Tess Gerritsen’s books though. They are a fast and enjoyable read. The plots also have twists and turns that add the element of surprise.