Sunday, March 25, 2012

Lunch at Newman's Deli in Reno, Nevada

This last trip to Reno my sister treated me to an afternoon of special moments, starting with lunch at a cute little place, Newman’s Deli, located at: 20 California Avenue, Reno, NV 89509, which is right of So Virginia St.

To one side is FedEx/Kinkos and on the other, just across the street, is a Starbucks.

Upon walking inside I could not help but notice the quaint retro feeling of deli; linoleum floor, 50’s yellow kitchen walls, retro style tables and chairs; all very nostalgic. Photos of Baseball players from years gone by cover the wall as well a an occasional picture of other sports icons. 
I believe I have never seen a menu with quite so many items though. It made my head swim so I let my sister choose.  

We split a Turkey Bacon Tomato Melt; Oven Roasted Turkey Breast, Bacon, Tomato, Mayonnaise, & Tillamook Cheddar Cheese served on white fluffy bread. Not sure exactly what they called it but it looked similar to French Bread. I am not big on white bread but it suited the sandwich.  
The turkey breast was a generous portion, fresh and flavorful. The cheese was delicious, blending well with the other ingredients.

The sandwich was a little on the greasy side though, which might be expected due to the melted cheese.

Half of the sandwich was 11 weight watcher points, so not exactly a sandwich I could eat on a regular basis.

My sister said she was disappointed in the sandwich and wants to take me to a different deli on my next trip. She chose this one because she had heard good things about the sandwiches.

I personally liked the sandwich, was very impressed on how quickly our plates were gathered up when we finished, was not impressed with the lack of interest the staff expressed to us as customers, but I did enjoy the vintage atmosphere. In my opinion the price was reasonable as well.

http://www.newmansdeli.com/