Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Book Review: The Colors of Blue by Lance McCulloch

Having tried my hand at writing a novel I can truly appreciate the work that Lance has put into this book. I never got as far as he has and for good reason, it is a lot of work!

I believe he has talent, although this edition is rough around the edges. Throughout the book you will find typos, syntax and printing errors. As someone has already commented on, it could have used a more refined touch with the proof reading before publication. The dialog is a little shallow and much at times and the transition from one scene to another was a little jolting for me at times. Once I actually had to put it down as it was becoming too, too much jumping from one place to another. That was more in the front of the front though; around the 9th chapter.

That said, I enjoyed reading the novel. The characters were genuine and believable. I came to think of Sarah as a friend, watching vicariously as she was thwarted in her relationship with Rick by several characters in the book only to triumph as she and Rick rediscover  love. Emotionally it triggered feelings of first love, even though they had each been in love before.

The setting contains many elements that resonate with me; mountains, horses, fishing, hiking, all invoking a feeling of peace and well-being. I felt it was given the most attention to detail and I was able to visualize myself there. A wonderful backdrop to a budding romance.

My greatest surprise was that a man could write such a sensitive novel so well. I believe the fact that it was written by a man though was a redeeming factor for me. It kept the novel from going to the gooey place other romance novels go. (yes, I know I said I do not read them, but I have read their jackets and I have had friends that feel the need to share the books they read with the intent of trying to convert me. The result is only to make me avoid them all the more.)

As an avid reader, I have read the early works of many  authors and I have found them to be rough around the edges at times and yet those authors have gone on to become very successful. Some that come to mind that I have read are Robin Cook, Dean Koontz and Robin Hobb.  I can foresee, with help and  persistence, how Lance could  be able to join those ranks.

If this book is fleshed out a little more, transitions from one scene to the next  smoothed out for a better segway and a little more attention given to editing, it could be more of a gem than the uncut stone that it is at this time.

I was given my copy of the book by the author. I told him I AM NOT a romance novel reader. This is as close as I have ever gotten to reading one. I avoid them as they generally have no interest for me. I enjoy a good Sci - fi, fantasy fiction, thriller, or drama. I agreed to read this book with the understanding that I was not a romance reader, but  would give it a try as I was intrigued by the element of colour  used by Sarah. It gave her character an element of  fantasy, an intriguing twist reminding me of a novel  I read by Brandon Sanderson.  Sadly I felt this was not developed as well as it could have been. He still sent me a copy though. :)

Bottom line, I enjoyed the book and would definitely  recommend it to others.

To quote Lance, "Although a romance, this is a story of love, loss, and discovery, told in a unique way and married with the beauty of nature. It is an emotional journey of the human spirit."

I could not have summed it up better.
 The Colors of Blue